Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Study Spots

Doesn't that wheelchair look comfy?

I tend to switch study spots every two weeks. Today is a switching day. I'm currently sitting in the new study area in the periodicals section of the BYU Library. I like the fact that I have a whole table to myself, a huge row of windows to my left, and copious amounts of light.
Previous study areas include the music section of the library, the computer lab by the Wymount Creamery, the first floor back cormer, and other remote corners of campus. I can't study at home--too many distractions.

Are you the kind of person who sits in the same spot in class, or do you like to switch seats for every class? I used to have to sit in the same spot each class, but now I try to sit in a different place. It's weird, but it's good. I think I like it because it makes each class period unique and I can remember the material better because the new ideas are associated with the new perspective. When I read my notes later I can often remember where I was sitting when that particular subject was discussed.

7 comments:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

I usually sat in the same spot in class, but it was often near the front. One of my high school teachers told us when we went to college we should always sit in the front. That way even if you're in a huge class the teacher recognizes your face. I took her advice. I don't know if I did better because of it, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Kathy Haynie said...

Good for you to keep studying! Too bad that home has so many distractions...but aren't they cute!

I usually sit in a place that is a little different each week in class, but it's a graduate seminar, only 13 students, so it wouldn't much matter.

I know I should make my high school students change their seats more often, but I'm a pansy. They look so comfortable where they are...

Lisa Lou said...

I think I need to switch it up every so often. Maybe every few weeks or so. But then I get nervous that I'm encroaching on someone elses territory, like wolves.

Katie Lewis said...

I usually sat in the same spot for classes (except biology and American Heritage. It was impossible to sit in the same seat with a class size that big.), but I was always changing study locations.

Anna said...

Hmmm. I wish I had tried moving spots in class. I never did. I do remember switching study locations. I still do, it's bit different. Like moving from the couch to the computer.

Patricia said...

In most of the classes I took at GMU all the students would sit in exactly the same seat every class. It was kind of funny. An empty seat meant that that person was absent. If person came in late, there seat would be there waiting for them.
Kind of like in church. If a new family shows up and sits in the 5th row back on the right side, the X family doesn't have their spot and the children look very confused when they come in.
What creatures of habit we are.

Patricia said...

Oh, I just read my comment and caught my typos. Sorry, the first there should be their.