Monday, November 9, 2009

School


I just realized that I will be in school until I am 28 years old.
That's a very long time, especially considering that I have been in school since I was five (with a two year break when I was 19).
That's a total of 21 years of schooling.
Sometimes I wonder if it will all be worth it considering the time lost, the debt, the stress of studying, etc...Then I consider the alternative: working a minimum wage job doing something that I don't like. It is hard sometimes to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I get trapped into thinking, "OK, I'll be able to relax once I graduate," or "once I pay off all the debt I have or will have accumulated." That could be a while.
I'm working on enjoying life now. I figure that if I can't enjoy life now in the middle of school and stress, when would my life be easier? When I'm retired? I can't wait that long.

5 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Life doesn't get less stressful after graduation, so it's a VERY good idea to just enjoy the ride! We loved spending time with you last weekend - thank you for sharing.

Chris said...

come join me in the land of minimum wage! we have interesting stories and many colorful characters waiting to meet you.

Patricia said...

It will be worth it! Thrive in the journey of it all.

Lisa Lou said...

Just before I graduated BYU, I was so excited to be done with school. But, it was definately not less stressful or less busy. I'm not sure why. Life just happens whether school is a part of it or not, I guess.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Yeah, Eric just turned 31 and is just now graduating with his PhD(and stll has more classes awaiting to get teacher certified). If you don't enjoy yourself in the moment you'll go crazy.