Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Found

I was working on some homework last night in the library when I noticed a piece of paper on the desk I was working at. I picked it up and looked at it, and this is what it looked like:
It's a piece of paper with four call numbers written on it, and one of the four numbers was crossed out. This paper reminded me of something that Lisa told me about, where a guy goes around collecting notes and shopping lists and photographs and tries to learn a little about the person who left them behind. I was pretty curious, so I decided to look up the books on this paper. Here they are:
  1. TK 5105 .888.R67 = Information architecture for the World Wide Web by Louis Rosenfeld and Peter Morville.
  2. Z 666.5 .B38X = Information architecture for information professionals by Sue Batley.
  3. T 585 .M68 = This wasn't in the catalog.
  4. QA 760 .D26 M35 (this was crossed out) = This wasn't in the catalog either.
So maybe that was a little creepy-stalker of me, and the books were a lot more boring than I thought they would be, but it was kind of fun the do a little investigative work.

Here's the book that I mentioned earlier. It's called Found, by Davy Rothbart. Maybe I will convince the library to buy it. It looks kind of interesting.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I found an essay on someone's trip to the ballet by the mcckay building once and I was going to read it, but then i felt bad. I didn't want to throw it away in case the person was looking for it, but i also didn't want to litter or look like i was littering.
I ended up balancing it on the lip of a trashcan. I figured God could make the wind do what he wanted with it, and if it was the wrong thing, it wasn't my fault. It was my foolproof plan. Ha!

Lisa Lou said...

I read this book once (and by read, I mean stood in Barnes and Nobles and tried to stealthly read it without bending the spine too much...) about shopping lists that a lady collects and makes up people and stories about the lists. I heard about it on NPR - don't remember which program - and it was pretty hilarious. Both the program and the book!

Kathy Haynie said...

Surely you could have invented racier books than that to enliven your blog. I guarantee none of us would have fact-checked you and called you on it.

But I guess the truth will have to do...

One time I calculated that I've written enough words on shopping lists to equal a novel - a lifetime drama of family and events and pulling together the wherewithall to make ends meet.

Anna said...

I once read a short story where this guy and this girl played this game where they followed a person around a grocery store until they saw a chance to run off with the person's cart. Then they bought all the food and had a rule that they couldn't go shopping again until all the food was eaten. I think you should try this.

Also, if you want some fun stalking, you should follow blind people.