Saturday, November 14, 2009

Handwriting


I think I have fairly good handwriting. A few semesters ago I was sitting in one of my classes and there was this girl who I didn't know who sat next to me and told me that my handwriting was perfect. No joke. I don't know what she was talking about, because it is far from perfect. I don't know if that was her version of flirting or what, but I just said, "Oh, um, yes. Thanks. I work hard at it...I guess." Then I made sure that my wedding ring was visible for the rest of the class, in case she tried something else.

The truth is, I do try to have nice handwriting. I think it is an art that is slowly declining. I think it's inevitable. I think anyone who went through elementary school after 1970 never really learned how to write cursive very well. If they do write cursive, it's because they basically stuck with it even though it wasn't emphasized very much in school. That's my opinion. I believe that computers and cell phone texts are basically the cause of this demise.

The nice thing is that one can learn to improve one's handwriting. Take Heber J. Grant, for example. His handwriting is all fancy. And when I say "improve" your handwriting, I don't mean writing in all capital letters to make it uniform and blocky to make it legible. I mean making it beautiful and capture your personality.

Did you know that there is a pseudo-science to determine your personality based upon handwriting? I don't know if I believe it or not, but it kind of makes a little sense.
Take this handwriting for example:

Seems nice enough, right? I mean, its pretty sloppy and it slopes, and who writes in cursive any more? But, according to this website, it turns out that this person is "dogmatic and dictatorial, emotionally unstable, bad tempered and possibly even violent!"

Watch out!

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

How about a sample of your handwriting? Have you analyzed it yet?

Anna said...

I was about to request the same thing as Kathy. Bryan, I would very much like to see a sample of your handwriting.

Lisa Lou said...

I'm kind of skeptical of those handwriting analysis things. Mostly because my handwriting changes every few years. I changed my signature a few months ago. I bet that means something.