Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pocket Doors

Have you ever gone to the bathroom at someone's house only to realize that the door to the bathroom is a pocket door? I get really nervous when I have to use one of these bathrooms because they almost never close all of the way. I always ended up sitting there on the toilet, pushing the door closed with my hand jammed in the little circle so that my older brother can't slide open the door on me and run away laughing, leaving me in the predicament of deciding to hobble over to the door and slide it closed again, or just quickly finish before anyone else walks by. You would think that they could design the door so that the little latch actually reached the hole.
Another thing I don't like about these doors is that there is always a little grove on the outside so you can open the door with a coin in case someone gets locked inside and doesn't know how to get out.



The unfortunate thing with this is that older brothers can unlock the door with a coin when you're inside, too. Especially when there is company over. It has happened more than once. So, inevitably, you end up sitting on the toilet with one hand on the lock at all times to prevent it from being turned. This has led my arm from falling asleep. Let me just say that it is difficult to, um, clean yourself after using the bathroom with an arm that you can no longer feel.
This is why I plan on installing a deadbolt on my future bathroom.

6 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Hahahahahaahahaha!! This might be my favorite post of yours yet.

Lisa Lou said...

Oh man. I wonder who did that to you?! Haha. Where did it happen? Did we have a door like this in one of our houses?

Chris said...

what the... you only have ONE older brother. I don't ever remember doing this. Whose house was it at?
It is a pretty funny idea though. I can imagine myself doing it, but I don't remember doing it.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

You might reconsider the deadbolt thing...a friend of mine just spent a couple hundred buck on a locksmith to get her kid out of the bedroom they'd locked themselves in.

ali said...

hahahahhahahahahahaaaa! i've held doors closed multiple times. even the normal doors cause ours have that little grove thing on the outside too or they just pop open if you kick them. funny times...

Anna said...

Hahahaha! How did I end up marrying the mean Lewis kid?