Monday, November 9, 2009

Assuming


I think that I have a habit of talking about things as if I know a lot about them, even though I only know a little bit about the subject. I say things that I assume are true, as if it is fact, and if in the rare instance that someone (usually Katie) calls my bluff, I respond with the classic, "Well, it could be true..."

Case in point: Whenever someone mentions that they like the smell of rain, I tell them that what they are smelling is actually the smell of everything in the area, because the increase of humidity makes it possible for us to smell things a lot more. This is true. However, I often embellish the story with an explanation of why, which COULD be true... For instance, I would say that we can smell things more because the polarity of the water droplets would ionize the particles of the objects around us, making them free radicals, or ions with lone pairs of electron. The repulsion between these charged ions would make the ions move at a faster rate, and this, paired with the fact that there would inevitably be more ions in the air, would result in a stronger scent being registered when the ions hit our chemical receptors in our noses. See? Doesn't that sound like it COULD be true? And it makes the explanation more interesting.

The fun thing about this is that most people believe what I say. This can be dangerous. Especially if they tell someone who knows more about the subject at hand than I do, and they tell them that it is completely bogus. Then the person spreading the story simply says who gave them the information and BAM!--all credibility lost. It's a dangerous game. But well worth the challenge.

Here are some more things that I have assumed:
--The Finnish and Korean languages are similar because some Koreans crossed the North Pole and taught Swedes Korean in order to trade with them. The Swedes that spoke Korean moved their colonies a little west and their language shifted a little, too, and this gives us the people and language of Finland.
--You can keep a plant alive in a closet with no sunlight by feeding it sugar water. The whole purpose of photosynthesis it to create glucose out of CO2 and H20 and photons, and then the plant uses the glucose to make ATP, or chemical energy. By giving the plants glucose directly, it can bypass the whole need for sunlight and make ATP from the glucose.
--You can tell how close a religion is to Christianity by which day they choose as their day of worship. The closer it is to Sunday, the more similar it is to Christianity (Buddhism = whenever; Islam = Friday; Judaism = Saturday).

3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

I am not seduced by your scientific lingo.

Lisa Lou said...

hahah! That's the best game. I do the same thing - make up junk and try to pass it off as true. Except, most of the time, I'm not purposefully making it up. It just comes out and it really COULD be true! And usually, I feel very validated in stating it because I really feel like it is true!

Masayuki said...

I love this post