Friday, November 6, 2009

Hair


In the break between my 9 o'clock class and my 10 o'clock class I made a quick stop to the bathroom. While I was washing my hands, I saw this guy who was adjusting his hair in the mirror. He had a kind-of-faux-hawk going on, and he was making it so that the sides of his hair were identical. Once he was satisfied he paused and smiled a little bit, nodding slightly to himself. I could imagine him saying, "Oh yeah...it's symmetrical, baby." The funny thing is, I couldn't even tell much of a difference. It was as if moving a piece of hair half a centimeter would either make or break his whole self image.
I was laughing to myself about this when I realized that I kind of do the same thing. It's kind of embarrassing, really. I worry that if one side of my head of hair looks more curly our if the top is more flat than the sides, I look like a complete clown. It was then that I realized that the little adjustments I make with my hands--either smoothing or fluffing--don't make any difference at all. People can't tell. I look like a fluffy haired person either way. Needless to say, this has liberated me in a small way. I don't waste the 10 seconds after the shower any more. I just rub my head with a towel and my hair does its own thing.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

Yea,for fluffy hair! You gotta love it!

Kathy Haynie said...

I love your hair. I hope Olivia gets to have curly hair, too.

Lisa Lou said...

Woah. I wrote about hair too. Sweet. I'm so excited for Olivia to start growing some more hair! Make her eat some gelatin, so make Katie eat it. Doesn't that help your hair and fingernails to grow?