Thursday, August 19, 2010

Close call

We had a really fun day at Lagoon with my family, who are all out here to drop off my little sister at BYU. We spent the whole day walking around, riding roller coasters, and enjoying each others' company. We headed off home around 8 PM, when the sun was starting to set. About an hour into the drive back home, I noticed something funny with the cars up ahead. They were all swerving quite a bit. A second later I realized why: a white car was driving the wrong way on the freeway! And it was headed right towards us! I swerved the car to the shoulder but we started fishtailing. Luckily, I was able to correct it and get the car back under control. It was only after the fact that Katie and I realized how lucky we were. Katie immediately called 911, and spoke quickly with the operator. It turns out that they had already received notice about that car. A few moments later we saw a police car zoom past. Then a few more police cars. We have been checking the news this evening to see if the driver of the car caused any accidents, but we haven't seen anything so far. I hope the driver of that car just pulled over to the side of the road as it passed us.

Anyway, we said a very sincere prayer of gratitude once we got home. An accident of two cars hitting head-on with both going at least 65 mph could have easily lead to a fatality. It makes me really worried to think about. But we're all safe and happy and grateful for how well the situation turned out.

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, Bryan, thank you for your quick reflexes and safe response. This is hard to even take in. This reminds me, so powerfully, that every day, every moment is so, so precious.