Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Syllabi Make Me Cry

Have you ever looked at a syllabus and interpreted it wrong and ended up doing an assignment on the wrong day?  I seemed to be plagued by this lately. In one of my classes, the assignment listed is the one that is DUE that day. In my other class, the assignment listed is ASSIGNED that day and due the next class period. It can be very confusing sometimes.

I spent two hours last night working on an assignment that I thought was due today, but it turns out my professor was just going to assign today. At least I have a head start now ... except that I had to read the chapter so many times last night to be able to understand what was going on.

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

I've been taking most of my writing classes from the same professor - for the last 3 or 4 terms - he's a wonderful teacher, but his syllabi always confuse me. Sheesh! How hard is it to make something clear? Especially a writing teacher? Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Yes, I sympathize. It would have been worse if you thought it was assigned, but it was actually due.

Patricia said...

Sorry to hear that! That's frustrating.

Raymond Teodo a.k.a. was_bedeutet_jemanden said...

Half the time I don't think the lecturers double-check to see if the information they have written corresponds with the other places they have written the criteria down. I think it's a common thread amongst university staff.....