Sunday, May 9, 2010

Reception Awkwardness

I always feel awkward when I approach the bride and groom in their reception line. I have only been to one wedding where I was the one who knew the person getting married. Every reception I have gone to since then, it has been Katie that has known the happy couple. This leaves me with a dilemma: hug or shake hands? I always shake the groom's hand -- that one is easy. The tricky part is the bride. I try to follow her lead. Sometimes she is so happy that she wants to hug everyone. Other times the bride is a little standoffish and would rather shake hands. One time I tried to shake hands but the bride wanted to hug, so my arm got stuck in between us.

I went to a reception this evening and found a solution to the problem. I just kind of stood behind Katie so that the bride couldn't reach me so the only way I would possibly congratulate them both was to shake hands. I think I'll do that from now on.

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Life is just so dang complex! Good fix, Bryan. :)

Lisa Lou said...

Hahahaha!! Reception lines are always awkward. I find greeting the parents to be the worst. "Hi, you don't know me and will never remember me." and then if there's a pile-up in front of you, you have to say something like "How was the weather today? She looks so pretty. Uh, well, ok. Congrats again."

Greg Lewis said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I'm big into the hand-shake......
ALSO - we thought of another BLOG post for you to write about! Explain the back story behind, "I'm a missionary monkey. My name is Buddy. I'm a missionary monkey. My name is Buddy. Hey! Get out of here! We don't wantcha!"