Monday, May 31, 2010

Book List

Here are some books that I want to read again. I like these a lot.
  • Catcher in the Rye. Maybe. I don't really remember the story that well. I just remember that it was a much more interesting read than The House on Mango Street, which I was required to read for school. I want to re-read it to see if I still like it.
  • East of Eden. Man, this story is epic. Literally. I read this everyday on the bus on my way to work when I worked at the mill. I still think about timshel when I hear the Ten Commandments.
  • Malcolm Gladwell's books. I think I like his books almost as much as I like Atul Gawande's books. The most interesting one is Outliers, I think. I actually thought Blink was a little bit boring. The Tipping Point was way good, though.
  • Last of the Breed. This was my favorite book when I was a teenager. I don't think I realized it was my favorite book until a couple of years ago. I think I read it three, maybe four times. That book made me want to name my first son Mack. And any mention of scalping reminds me of the package wrapped in bark...

6 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

I go back and reread "To Kill a Mockingbird" every few years. Right now I'm reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - I think you'd like it a lot.

Sylvia Louise said...

EAST OF EDEN. Oh man. One of my absolute favorite books.

Sylvia Louise said...

Haha! I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance right now too!

Patricia said...

I've never read "East of Eden", but I also really like Atul Gawande and Malcom Gladwell. I'd like to reread their books someday.

Patricia said...

And I think I'm the one who recommended you read "Last of the Breed." It was one I suggested to all you kids when you were teenagers and complained that you had nothing to read. Good old Louis L'Amour.

Raymond Teodo a.k.a. was_bedeutet_jemanden said...

I've bought myself a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" a few weeks ago. Will let you know my thoughts on it once I get around to reading it...