Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Big Bird's Name



In episode 3,863 of Sesame Street, Big Bird chose a new name for himself. He was tired of his old name because it was just a description of what he looked like, not a normal name. He realized that everyone else has a real name, like Burt or Oscar.

Can you guess what name Big Bird chose for himself?

It's Roy.

Isn't that the most random name in the world? He doesn't seem like a Roy to me. He doesn't stick with the name, of course. It was meant to show kids that it doesn't really matter what your name is.  I first heard about this episode from reading "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell. You can read the plot of episode 3863 here if you want. It's kind of interesting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My parents named me Roy, but they think my name matters, contrary to popular belief, but if my name really doesn't matter, I guess I'll go by big bird now.