Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mission journal

Katie and I have been putting together David's Christmas package, and I thought I would write a quick letter to go along with the things we got him. I pulled out my mission journal for the first time since my mission to get some inspiration about mission related things. I'm not sure why I hadn't looked at it before. When I started reading the passages that I wrote over 8 years ago, I felt like I was immediately back on the streets of Switzerland. It was weird. I would take a break from reading and look around our living room and realize how nice my life is right now, then I would read some more about what my day to day life was like.

Two things stood out to me while reading my journal:

  1. How depressing my life should have been, if an outsider was observing my day-to-day actions
  2. How upbeat I was when recounting these events in my personal journal
Sure, I had some days where I wrote about how depressed I was and stuff, but most days were things like "Today was awesome! We did street contacting for about 3 hours then knocked on people's doors for the rest of the evening, and we found two people who said that we might be able to come back sometime!" And this was in February, where the sun set at 4:30 PM and we had to be out until 9:00 PM. 

Anyway, I am very grateful for my nice, easy life now. And I am also grateful that I could experience a mission so that I cold learn the value of hard work and how to turn to the Lord for motivation and comfort. 

No comments: