Monday, June 7, 2010

First book report

I ordered a replacement book for the library today. It brought back so many memories because it was the book for which I wrote my first book report. I remember it was in the first grade and the book was Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!  Have you ever read the book? It's all about the narrator being impatient with poor Marvin, asking and pleading with him to leave and listing all the various ways he may vacate the premises (helicopter, stilts, etc.). I remember making a diorama of the book by making Marvin K. out of purple clay and putting him in a shoebox.

Did you know that Dr. Seuss viewed this book as a political novel. I guess Mr. Mooney represents Richard Nixon. The book was published a few months after the whole Watergate scandal. Here I quote from Wikipedia:
[W]hen Seuss was challenged by political columnist Art Buchwald for never having written a political book, Seuss took a copy of the book and crossed out "Marvin K. Mooney" and wrote in "Richard M. Nixon." Buchwald was so delighted that with Seuss' consent he printed the text as his column for July 30, 1974. Nixon resigned nine days later on August 9th.
Anyway, I got an A+ on my book report. I think my teacher gave everyone an A+ if they tried to do anything. I also remember feeling really sad for Marvin K. Mooney because he was asked to leave.

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

You are a very kind person to have sympathy for poor Marvin. :)

Greg Lewis said...

I thought it was Marvin's dad telling him to go to bed...no?