- Sailing. I don't know anything about it. I want to know how you use the wind to steer, what difference the direction of the wind makes in what direction you can travel, how to tie the knots you need, how you use the sun to find latitude, and how to use the stars for direction.
- Killing, skinning, and cooking wild animals. I've never been hunting or fishing before. I think I would enjoy it, but I don't know. I think it could be useful to know. Maybe we'll have to live off the land someday. I want to know know the right way how to kill different animals and how to cure the hide. I want to know what cuts of meat to use and how to divide it up.
- Riding. I think I would like to learn how to ride a horse. I know it sounds kind of dumb, but I figure I will have the upper hand in a situation involving me, my enemy, and a horse. I've only been riding once, and it was for about 2 minutes. It was fun.
- Speed reading. Imagine you could read so fast that you could get all of your homework done in a matter of minutes. I found Howard Stephen Berg's blog, who is the world's fastest reader. Maybe I can get some tips from him. I heard that John F. Kennedy was a really fast reader and that he read 4 entire newspapers every morning.
- Speaking Spanish. This will actually be a useful skill to have nowadays. The Hispanic population continues to rise and I could be helpful to that whole demographic as an optometrist if I could speak Spanish. Maybe I'll enroll in Spanish 101 before I graduate. I probably wont because it's a four credit class and I'm kind of strapped for time, but someday I'll try to learn it.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, "Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills." I don't want to learn these skills to get a girlfriend, but its always good to impress your wife. Here are some awesome skills that I would like to learn someday: