It was amazing. The lights on this long stretch of rode were synced so that if you drove at the right speed, you would hit all green lights all the way.
According to this Wikipedia article, here are the benefits of implementing a green wave:
- Reduce CO2, NOx and PM10 emissions from traffic.
- Reduce fuel consumption of vehicles.
- Be used on roads that intersect with other green waves.
- Reduce the time cars wait at side roads.
- Give pedestrians more time to cross at crossings and help them to cross streets as vehicles travel in platoons
- Control the speed of traffic in urban areas.
- Reduce componant wear of vehicles and indirect energy consumption through their manufacture
Pretty sweet. And here is a video of a green wave in real life in Copenhagen from the point of view of a bicycle: