Thursday, January 28, 2010

State of the Union

Sadly, I wasn't able to watch the whole thing yet.  I blame my organic chemistry homework.  I started to read it, but it's close to 11:30 PM, and I should probably go to bed.  I quickly read the synopsis on CNN.com and it looked interesting.

I think the most controversial thing he mentioned was that President Obama would work with Congress on the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.  I wish I knew more on the subject to actually have an informed opinion on the topic.  Does it really hurt the military to have gays openly serve in it?  Maybe, maybe not.

I think the thing that affects me the most right now is the section I read concerning university students.  If I understood it right, the plan is to increase the amount of Pell Grants received, and limit student loan payments to 10 percent of your income for 20 years, or 10 years if you do public service.  That sounds pretty good to me.  I am hoping to be able to pay off my student loans faster than 20 years, though.

Now, I'm all for getting free money to assist me in getting through college, but you have to wonder where this money is coming from. I think the deficit here in the United States is around 1.3 trillion dollars. Obama mentioned that he didn't raise taxes at all.  That means that the government is either reducing spending on something else to pay for this, or they are borrowing more money from countries like China and Japan. I hope that bi-partisan task force to come with solutions on reducing the deficit comes up with some awesome plans.

No comments: