Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sounds and Smells

Two finals down, four to go. I have two finals today than I'm not looking for to so much.

Katie has a runny nose. It mostly leaks when she is trying to lie down. In order to accommodate her, we set up camp in the living room last night and she slept on the couch with 40 pillows behind her and I slept in my sleeping bag with a foam pad underneath. It was pretty fun for me until I got up in the night to get something and I smacked my forehead on a door handle. There's still a mark.
In order to get up on time I took the clock that usually sits on top of the microwave and set the alarm to go off this morning. This clock is the alarm clock that I used all throughout my mission. It's really cool: it tells you the temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit (I still understand Celsius way better. Hurrah for the metric system!) and it even tells you the moon phases. The only use I could think of for knowing the moon phases is if you were a werewolf, but it's cool either way.
When it went off this morning I thought for an instant that I was on my mission because of the sound of the alarm was so uncannily familiar. I first felt guilty for wanting to press the snooze button and then I was dreading doing my morning exercises. And then I heard Katie on the couch and felt a huge wave of relief come over me.
A similar thing happened a while ago. Katie bought me some new shower gel and the morning I used it, the smell took me back about seven years ago. It was the same shower gel that my mom got me to take with me for EFY. I remember using that gel and these feelings of excitement and worry about trying to impress the ladies were all flooding in. It was the most bizarre thing in the world.
I just think it's pretty crazy how a simple sound or smell can trigger so many emotions and memories.

7 comments:

Nathan said...

There are some songs that I hear that make me think of times. For instance, there is a "Sunshine 60's" CD around the house and every song on that CD reminds me of painting Warhammer 40,000 figurines. Because that is the only CD I had when we were living in Germany.

Kathy Haynie said...

Studies have shown that the sense of smell is most closely associated with memory.

But I agree with Nathan- I can hear an "oldie" on the radio, and I'm right back in high school.

Anna said...

Kathy, I thought you were going to say that oldies remind you of painting Warhammer figurines too.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

So your story made me wonder...does this amazing and unique alarm clock by any chance have a feature that allows you to go forward AND backward in time when you go to set the time or set the alarm? If so Eric will want to talk to you...and you should hide it when he comes because he might try to steal it. He's obsessed with this alarm clock he once owned with that feature.

There's a tape that I used to listen to a lot once summer while I read all the Anne of Green Gables books...so whenever I hear a song from it, it makes me think of those books.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

I showed Eric your post and then my comment...and he started going off about his alarm clock again...as in and I quote..."I really wonder what happened to that alarm clock. It just disappeared."

Bryan Lewis said...

Polly- I have to say that my alarm clock does have this feature of being able to go forward and backward. It think it is the best alarm clock.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

So now, I need to know more Bryan. What brand is it? Perhaps the company still makes alarm clocks that can go backward and forward. That would make Eric's day...and then I wouldn't hear about his previous alarm clock everytime he has to change the time on the alarm clock from 7:00 to 6:59.