Thursday, April 30, 2009

Noise and Concentration

When I read a textbook for a class, I go crazy when my environment is silent. I need to have some sort of audible distraction to keep my mind focused on what I'm reading. However, when I listen to music I often find myself focusing on the music more than on what I am reading. This is problem. As I was listening to my Coldplay radio station on pandora.com while trying to read Creating Effective Organization, 5th edition, I remembered my mom saying that I used to fall asleep listening to the vacuum cleaner. I wanted to find some white noise to listen to so that I could zone out out my surroundings and focus on my reading without being distracted by melodies and lyrics. I found this site, simplynoise.com, that creates three different types of noise: white, pink, and brown/red. I prefer the brown/red noise, put on oscillating volume. It reminds me of an ocean, but deeper and more predictable.
I discovered that my reading speed has at least doubled and my comprehension has increased as well. Try it out yourself and let me know if it helps out you with your concentration while reading. I want to know if this is just a weird thing that helps me or if it is a universal thing.

7 comments:

Lisa Lou said...

ooooOOOooo. I just tried it and I really like it. Yes, the brown/red noise on oscillating is my favorite. I'll have to try it out today and see how I feel at the end.

ali said...

it's pretty cool but listening to it too much gives me a headache. i just sing to myself when i work or blast music cause then it's too loud to understand haha

Chris said...

i am going to try it out now. sometimes i listen to music when i study, but if it is too interesting, then i get distracted and if it is too boring then i want to rip my ears off.
i tried to find white noise online when soapy was tinier, but i could only find 30 second clip[s on youtube. i would just play those over and over and over again and it would make her fall asleep sometimes.

so would george clinton and michael jackson, so maybe the white noise wasn't necessary.

only three finals left...

Kathy Haynie said...

I adore quiet, but that's me.

Mark has been having problems with tinnitus, which was driving him a little nutso, but now that he has a hearing aid, all the interesting little sounds he'd been missing out on are tending to drown out the tinnitus, so he's lots happier in two ways.

Anna said...

If I listen to music when I am reading or writing I get really angry. Seriously, I really do. The more complicated the music the angrier I get. I have to be pretty relaxed not to become a little agitated when classical music plays.
I think it has to do with my brain being bad at multitasking.

Patricia said...

Okay, so I'm kind of wacky sometimes. And just now I left a pretty long comment concerning listening on your last blog's comment section! I rarely comment, and now when I do it's on the wrong entry!
Oh well.

Nathan said...

I once heard about this special music that helps to trigger neurons in your brain and stuff because it's normal music that scientists pumped with like special brain sounds that helps you to study and concentrate. I went to the website and listened to a sample but it didn't sound any different than normal music. It sounded like heroic movie soundtrack music. I don't remember the site though, but they were trying to show how helpful their music was with graphs and 3D pictures of brains and stuff.