Sunday, April 26, 2009

Labor gigs

My last job ended on Wednesday and my next job starts Monday. I was trying to think of what to do on my two days off so I checked Craigslist for any jobs that someone needed done on Thursday and Friday. Under the "labor gigs" section I found that a guy here in Provo needed some help doing some landscaping on Thursday and Friday and that he was paying $12/ hour plus bonuses. I called him and worked for him on Thursday for half a day because I had some errands to do in the morning. We unloaded 5 pallets of concrete blocks, used a pick axe to rip up the sprinkler lines from the ground, and roto-tilled the hard clay for grass to be planted. I hadn't worked that hard in such a long time. My body ached so bad. The great part was that I got paid $80 for 4 hours of work. The unfortunate thing is that I just overcame the flu on Tuesday and working so hard made it come back. I thought I could tough it out on Friday so I started to walk to the guy's house early Friday morning, but I got exhausted from walking so I had to stop in the library to rest. The library is a tomb in between semesters. I saw maybe five or six other people in there. I called the guy and said I'll try to come in the afternoon, and then promptly fell asleep in one of the soft chairs. I slept for about 3 1/2 hours and woke up with one of the biggest cricks in my neck. I hobbled back home and slept on the couch for the rest of the afternoon. I was kind of bummed that I couldn't make some more sweet moolah, but I'm glad that I'm better now. School starts again next week....not enough vacation.

8 comments:

Nathan said...

That's like a dollar an hour!

Kathy Haynie said...

Ouch! Take care of yourself!

Mark rototilled our garden (soft dirt) yesterday, and then we put in the vegetable plants & seeds. He's achey today.

Hope you feel better soon!

Anna said...

I'm sorry you felt so lousy. And I am impressed that you got a job for only two days. Very cool.

Also, what will your new job be? You never said.

Good luck!

ali said...

you should work out. then you won't get sore and you'll have really big muckees. (however you spell that haha)

Lisa Lou said...

when you said the library is a tomb I thought of this quote: (name that movie)
"this place is a tomb. I'm goin to the nut house where it's fun."

Katie Lewis said...

Lisa- we truly are kindred spirits/ bosom friends (name that movie). Lets play again soon please.

P.S. In answer to your name that movie: You've Got Mail.

Patricia said...

Katie,

I think it's Anne of Green Gables.

Patricia said...

I love quiet during the day when I'm home and working on thinking things.
However, when I write (or wrote, since I'm not doing a lot of writing lately)I found I loved this Hawaiian music cd I had. It kept me concentrating without being distracting.
Kathy, I have the tinnitus too, and my doctor has suggested the hearing aids to help block out the ringing. But I think I'm hearing okay, even though I've lost some, so I'm not sure I'm ready to try hearing aids yet.