Monday, March 23, 2009

Riddle

I'm taking an Accounting class and an Entrepreneur Lecture Series this semester. These classes are pretty cool, especially since they make me want to start my own business someday. In my Entrepreneur class, we have local people come in and tell us their stories of success. Almost all of them are multi-millionaires who have started some business in their basement and sold it 10 years later for millions of dollars. I think if I were to start a business, I would want to keep it and make it into a sort of family tradition. We'll see...
Anyway, thinking about these business classes made me think of this riddle. I think it was originally a Mindtrap question (best game in the WORLD, by the way . . . contrary to popular belief), but I have adapted it to make it my own. Here's the riddle:

An American man decided to start a business by buying bananas in bulk for 17 cents a pound and selling them to poor villagers in third world countries for 10 cents a pound. Interestingly, this business model made this man a millionaire in only a few short years. How is this possible?


If you want to guess the answer, leave a comment. The winner will get a realistic portrait of them drawn in MS Paint posted on my blog. What a prize!


=




7 comments:

Nathan said...

I have 2 ideas how this would work:
1) The exchange rate of the USD to the local currency where he sells the bananas has something to do with it.
Or,
2) The USD would be a lot stronger in the foreign land making him appear a lot richer?

Those are my guesses.

Lisa Lou said...

I say because he was being nice and generous he got extra blessed.

ali said...

because people bought so stinkin many that he ended up getting more than he paid for

or

the people started planting the banana seeds and selling them to other people and then giving the money to the nice man

Anna said...

I don't know! And it really bugs me!

Chris said...

I think I should be the winner please.
I can't figure out how to do it, but I am sure that it has something to do with a trick.
Was this a black diamond question? Can you give a little hint?

I just want a realistic MS Paint picture of myself.

I'll bet our little business-minded fellow sold half of his banana stock to wealthy folk at 5 cents a banana, and then he sold the rest of his at 10 cents a pound, so he still comes out ahead.

Or he advertises that he sells them at 10 cents a pound in third world countries and then controls supply in some first world country to create a high demand, so he can come out ahead and be seen as a swell guy.

Or he never comes into contact with the bananas, buys them remotely while they are on the plantation, sells them at 10 cents a pound to the people who work there...

I don't know. But i think I should win.

I'll bet there is a middle man in there somewhere.

I think you should give us a little hint before you tell us the answer.

Greg Lewis said...

He got some of Pres. Obama's stimulus money and retired early with the cash bailout from AIG.

Lisa Lou said...

I like dad's answer. I think I will try that.