Sunday, January 11, 2009

Free things

This past week I started a new job. I am now an official employee of BYU Vending. I'm a bottle man, meaning that I load the bottle machines with delicious beverages such as Power Aide, Vitamin Water, and milk. The best part about the job is that I get to consume anything that is spoiled. For instance, last week Friday I drank two pints of Cookies and Cream milk, two granola bars, a chicken salad sandwich, and some carrots and ranch, all of which spoiled on Dec. 28th. The stuff didn't taste bad or anything--they make it so that the stuff lasts for weeks after the expiration date. Today I had XXX Vitamin Water, a chocolate milk, Doritos, and a Grandma B Cookie. I'm trying to gain weight.
But I really love getting free things. I think this has been a trend in my life. On my mission, I kept a running list to record all the items that people gave me. The list included a stolen watch, a silver pocket watch, tomatoes from the Doener Man, six suits, shoes, ties, movies, music, and hair gel, among other things. I never used the hair gel. The list was over three pages long. I didn't really understand it, but I'm not complaining.
Even today, I got a book about Rankings of Architecture Schools that normally costs about $50 for free. A guy I sit next to in class asked if I wanted it and I said, "OK."
Hopefully this trend doesn't come back to haunt me.

Contractions look funny to me. Especially "doesn't."

I'm taking a Construction Law class right now, and it's kind of interesting. We're learning about contracts and what is required for a contract to be legit. It turns out that you don't need signatures (except in real estate) for you to have a contract. Crazy. My professor had made million dollar deals on a handshake (although he highly discourages it.)
It reminded me a lot of playing Settlers of Catan. This is a great game. The German version is by far the best. I mean, you get plastic, detailed roads and towns instead of wood blocks and twigs. Here's a practical example of how a construction bid directly relates to Setters of Catan. It turns out that if you say "I'll give you two brick for rock." And I say,"How about three brick for a rock?" and you say,"No." and then I say, "Ok, ok, two brick." There is no contract! Once a counter-offer is made by the receivee, the original offer is terminated. Fascinating. Also, the offeror of the deal can legally retract his or her offer before anyone agrees to it, but once he or she makes an offer and someone else agrees to it, the offeror is legally bound to execute his or her end of the deal, whether or not they change their mind. If they decide not to do it anymore, the offeree can sue.

Another thing I don't like is how Blogger time-stamps posts according to when you start writing them instead of when you finish them.

6 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Hmmm...I'm trying to think of something I can send to you for free. Beware! There could be a package in the mail in your future!

Lisa Lou said...

Haha! I laughed all the way through this post. A few thoughts: you should campaign to be the model for the vending machine web page. Show them a picture of your IS model days. So proffi. Also, you and Chris should go into the contract business. That would be sweet.
Also, I got so much trashy free stuff on my mission. Like fake leather pants. nothing cool like a watch. Oh well.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

We like free things too. One time...actually I think two times...in the Clyde building (BYU) there was a vending machine that the refridgeration unit went out and Eric happened by when the guy was putting all the thawed, but not spoiled food in a large (clean) garbage sack. Since he was just going to throw it away, Eric asked for it. We had burritos and stuff for a month at least...and that was after we'd unloaded a bunch of them to some other friends in the ward. We also loved it when Eric's sister worked at a deli in Provo and she'd bring us day-old stuff all the time...yum!

Nathan said...

Sometimes I try and get free stuff on the internet. But then they always make me do a trial for Netflix or make me apply for a credit card or something. So then, I just feel sad because I was thinking of all the neat things I could do my my free stuff.

Anna said...

Man, my blog never tells me when you write a blog. I just discovered that you wrote THIS one today.

That is pretty great you get free stuff. And, interestingly enough, reading this blog made me want to give you stuff. I contemplated all the things I could give and finally decided on this emoticon. Please enjoy.

;)

Anonymous said...

Free stuff? I have some hardwood lumber you can have the next time you are in Oregon. It's a lot of smaller pieces, but you could make SOMETHING out of them.

We really need a picture of you in your T-Shirt and mesh hat. It sounds so cool.. I wish I had a set like that.

I don't know if I would be eating all of that stuff that is "spoiled" from the vending machine. I mean, what if something were truly bad? You would be paying for it dearly. Just a thought.