Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Physics Problem

I would like to preface this post with an introduction. I really enjoy physics--I have loved it ever since I took a physics course in the ninth grade. I was actually planning in majoring in Physics until I took the advanced calculus course as a prerequisite to the physics major when I was a freshman here at BYU. I passed the class, but I lost all my free time on Saturdays as a result.
I realized that I loved physics because of the thinking and understanding of the physical world and the knowledge of how things work and are interconnected, not because of the math. That's when I decided to major in art, then industrial design, then construction management.
Anyway, this is a physics problem that boggled my mind at first. After thinking about it for a while, I understood. Let's see how you do. Leave your answers in the comment box and those who answered correctly will receive a reward.

Here is a digram of a tricycle with a rope attached to one of the pedals. Notice that the pedal is pointing down.
If you pull the rope to the left, the tricycle will:
a) roll to the left.
b) roll to the right.
c) be dragged to the left.
d) be dragged to the right.
e) stay where it is.

6 comments:

Nathan said...

c) be dragged to the left

Yes, I WIN!

Chris said...

DON'T PULL THE ROPE! you will probably tear the space-time continuum and launch the tricycle into the Mesozoic era.
I wrote the 100 hour board once and asked what would happen if you were driving at the same speed as a bird. Both of your windows are open and you slowly merge so that the bird is right next to your open window. If it was to fly into the car, but still be in the air, would it have to continue to flap its wings? If it stopped would it hit the rear of the car? Would it glide down to the dashboard?

What if you were travelling the same speed as a bullet and you were inside a vacuum? That solves the problem of air turbulence and the inability of a bird to fly in a vacuum. Would it fly though the air right next to your face and land harmlessly on the ground in your car? If you could run really fast, it would just drop straight down next to you.
I remember when that blew my mind in Physical Science 100. It drops at the same rate as anything else. But anyways, how does the bird/bullet thing work out if it enters into your car space?
Am I mixing up too many natural laws?
Also, don't you want an ice cream sandwich?

Chris said...

Also, I decided it wouldn't be fair for me to answer because you told me what would happen before when we talked about this problem.
Can I have a reward since I remember the answer you told me?

Lisa Lou said...

I think it will stay where it is because if the peddle is already down, that means for it to move forward the OTHER peddle has to be pushed down. If you pull on the down peddle the gears will try to go backwards but since you're pulling forwards, it won't go anywhere. At least in Lisa Land it will. Am I anywhere close to right?

Anna said...

I think what would make me take this more seriously would be if it didn't involve a tricycle. Could you use something more professional for your physics problem? If not I think you should call it fizzix (like that awesome yogurt BYU invented).

Also, I heard the answer before too so I shouldn't guess...

...except I can't remember what the answer was. But I think it goes forward...but first goes backward a second. I don't think I paid so much attention when you explained it the first time because that doesn't make sense.

Patricia said...

Okay, I'll bite and comment. Usually I just read what you guys say to each other.

I have a problem with the tricycle because all the tricycles I've seen have two wheels in the back and one in the front and I think it will react differently for that reason.

But, with my vast experience with tricycles, hey I had a few kids, I think the trike would topple over if the rope was pulled hard. Hopefully there isn't a child sitting on it.