Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Glass House

I checked out a book from the library called "50 Buildings You Should Know." It turns out I only knew 34 of them. The ones I never heard of were like the Horyuji Temple in Japan, Borobudur in Indonesia, the Mesquita in Spain and some other random ones.
One of the buildings that I did know was the Glass House in Connecticut designed by Phillip Johnson.
I remember learning about this building in my Social Studies class in the 5th grade. My 5th grade teacher's name was Mr. Idio, and whenever he did spell check on his assignments it would change his name to Mr. Idiot. He was from Nigeria and he pronounced soap "sap" and pizza "peetzer." When we did spelling tests, I had no idea half of the time of what he was saying.
Anyway.
This glass house is cool. The are no walls in the building, just "flowing spaces." He was a student of Walter Gropius, founder of the International Style.
The funny thing is that it costs $30 to visit the building, when you could just walk up and look through the walls...
Maybe if you closed one eye you would only need to pay $15 to see the building. You are only seeing half of what you would normally see, after all. (That comment provided by Katie)


Maybe you wouldn't have to pay at all if you promised to close your eyes.

Do blind people have to pay money if they go to a museum?

Speaking of art and blind people, I found this picture of braille graffiti.




I'm not sure what it says. Hopefully it's not swear words or something.

3 comments:

Greg Lewis said...

Phillip Johnson was the guy who designed the office I was in when we lived in Berlin. He did not design the "House-ball" art that was there. He's pretty cool.

Bryan Lewis said...

Here's a picture of dad's office building in Berlin. I also wanted to say that i love Phillip Johnson's glasses.
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/Home/Geography/Europe/Germany/Berlin/Kreuzberg/Historic-Districts/Mehringplatz-and-Friedrichstras/Checkpoint-Charlie/Philip-Johnson-Haus/Philip-Johnson-Haus-1.html

Chris said...

I remember the house ball! I am wearing that shirt that says "you are now leaving the american sector" and I was thinking about that office yesterday. cool.
I think mr. idio is funny. I could hardly ever understand him.