Friday, December 5, 2008

Something Amazing

First of all, I would like to say that this post is a little bit humiliating, but quite funny.

Yesterday I was at the mall by myself finishing up some Christmas shopping. I was headed out to the car when I was stopped by a Hispanic woman who ran a kiosk. I usually just ignore those people but I always feel guilty doing so because SO many people just ignored me when I was trying to talk to people on my mission. I felt like I should try to be nice by hearing what she had to say. She said in a very quiet voice, "Excuse me, sir, but would you like to see something amazing?"
Who wouldn't? Thoughts of magic tricks and exotic animals crossed my mind as I said, "Um, sure."
She brought me over to her little kiosk (which, by the way, had no sign stating what they sold) and said, "Here, make your finger do this." She then stuck out her middle finger with her palm facing down. I thought that was a bit odd, but I complied, thinking this is building up to be a great trick. Then then grabbed my finger and something that looked like an Emory board, but it was made out of a type of rubber. She rubbed and rubbed the thing on my finger nail quite vigorously. I was a taken aback and a little frightened. I wasn't really sure what to expect. When she was done, she quickly covered my middle finger with her hand and said, "Don't scream out loud, okay?"
I warily said "Sure..."
She removed her hand and my finger nail was shiny! It was so bad! It looked like a girl's finger!
I said, "Oh man. Um...can it come off?"
She excitedly told me that it can't and even demonstrated that fact by pouring some nail polish remover on a cotton ball and wiping all over my finger. She tried to sell me the complete set for $69.99, but I told her that it was out of my budget, hoping that she'd catch the hint that I wasn't interested without me having to tell her directly. She either missed the hint or ignored it all together. She told me she would give me a special deal and asked me how old my significant other was. I was trying to think of the right answer that would tell her that I wasn't interested, so I said, "I think she's thirty five." She said, "Okay, then I'll sell it to you for thirty five dollars." Who does that? Who sets the price of a gift depending on the age of the recipient? I should have said she was seven.
She tried to sell me the product further by telling me to try it out myself my polishing my thumbnail, when I told her that I wasn't interested at all.
So I walked away.
When I got home, I got out my little key chain pocket knife and proceeded to scratch my nail to make it look more masculine.

6 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

I thought you were doing homework mister. Got caught.

Anna said...

This is an awesome post. I am still cracking up. My favorite part...no, there are too many. Can you post a picture of your nail.

Lisa Lou said...

Bwah ha ha ! I just love the fact that you just stood there and let her do that! I would do the same thing, but I probably would have bought it. oh man.

Nathan said...

Wait, it isn't normal for guys to do that to their nails...?

Emily said...

BRYAN! this very same thing happened to Richard! You should swap stories sometime.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

I agree with Anna. Too many favorite parts to choose just one. I'm still laughing and Katie (my Katie) is demanding to know what is so funny.