Sunday, March 25, 2012

Degrees symbol = °

The keyboards used in Germany and Switzerland have the degrees symbol already on the keyboard, but us stuck with the QWERTY board have to result to drastic measures whenever we want to type °.

Some people just type out "degrees," but this is just for people who give up to quickly.

I used to just do a google search for "degrees," then went to the Wikipedia page, copied, then pasted the symbol in.

But I finally just looked up the quick code. This is how you do it:

Hold down "Alt" then type "2" then "4" then "8" then let go of "Alt."
In other words:  Alt+248 

°

BAM. There you go. So easy.

(Just remember that if you're giving the temperature in Kelvin, don't use the degree symbol. It's only used for Celsius and Fahrenheit. Or Rankine. Or if you want to measure the angles of arc.)

8 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Dang. I should have read this before I just posted a bread recipe on my blog two minutes ago. I give up too easily. 63.

Lisa Lou said...

haha Katie. I also give up easily. Or use the * key. Weak.

Kathy Haynie said...

It's easier with a Mac computer. Hold down "option" and hit the ")" key. As in, bake those yummy cookies at 375º.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

So...what's the quick code for inserting that little heart symbol you see everywhere. I've never put the time in to figure out how people do that one.

Greg Lewis said...

Thanks Bry! I could have used that last week. Maybe my asking inspired you to look it up? Love you, Mom

Bryan Lewis said...

Bryan Lewis said...

Ha! I figured it out. You just type "& hearts ;" without the spaces. Works only in html...

Jaxel said...

Nice blog..mobile cloud computing