Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How do you pronounce Worcestershire?

Whenever I had to say "Worcestershire" I've always just kinds of mumbled something like "worsheshtsherhsher sauce." It turns out that that is the wrong way to say it. Go figure.

One day I sat down and looked at the label of our Lea & Perrins and tried to sound it out. Is is wor-chester-shire? Wor-sess-ter-shire? I really had no idea.

Finally I looked it up online and this is how you say it:

WOOS-ter-sher 

Crazy, huh? Just imagine saying "rooster" like a person with a speech impediment (I think it's called a derhotacism when you can't pronounce the letter r). Rooster, sure! Wooster, sure!

I think I will still sound like an idiot very amature if I tried to say this in real life. I have never heard anyone pronounce it this way. Now I will feel very self-conscious every time I ask for Worcestershire sauce. I have doomed myself to a life of permanent anxiety. Maybe I'll just live without it from now on.

4 comments:

Lisa Lou said...

I say it WORS-te-sher. So not right. Kind of like Lancester. Or any -shires in England. They're always awkward to say.

Kathy Haynie said...

Yes, I have heard it pronounced WOOS-te-sher. Practice a few times and you'll sound like a pro!

Katie Lewis said...

Yeah well, you know, we practically eat it every night, so it'll be so hard to give up.

American Pronunciation Guide said...

Your point about never hearing anyone say it that way highlights why a written pronunciation guide sometimes isn’t enough. Listening first, then repeating the whole word without looking at its spelling, can make practice easier. I run American Pronunciation Guide; here’s our Worcestershire pronunciation reference for anyone still puzzling over the sauce label:

https://ipronounce.io/pronounce/worcestershire–gZ4oATyOEB0